Dr Karen Treisman : Strengths, Hope, Self-Esteem & Resilience
Time & Location
About The Event
This enriching and inspiring day is another in Karen's series of Creative Tools & Ideas trainings* - this time focusing on self-esteem, confidence, strengths, hope and resiliency. Full of ideas and interventions, these days are always exciting and informative as well being a nurturing and encouraging experience for the practitioners attending.
What is the focus of the day and what is covered?
The focus of this day is on strengths, confidence, self-worth, self-belief, self-esteem, and resilience; including magnifying, noticing, celebrating, and strengthening children and their surrounding adults’ strengths, skills, positive qualities, and resources. It also spotlights but is not the primary focus around supporting children who have been bullied/teased and/or who have a negative sense of self and poor self-esteem. This includes explaining why children and adults can struggle with their self-esteem, what this can look like, how this can be reinforced, and the impact this can have. This also supports people to find different ways to notice and celebrate their uniqueness and special qualities. An array of creative and expressive tools and skills will be shared and expanded upon.
Areas covered include:
· Understanding self-esteem and self-worth. Including the why, and some of the common signals and ways of this showing itself.
· Understanding the perpetuating cycle of low self-esteem and discussing some of the cognitive
· Trouble shootings and suggestions around “our own relationship, experiences, and history with praise and self-esteem”.
· Trouble shootings and suggestions around “those children who find it hard to hear or find or label strengths and positives”.
· Behavioural ideas around this; including some common thinking traps.
· Different ways of being with children and some key therapeutic qualities and skills to underpin and optimise the creative activities.
· The 7 E model to support enriching conversations around strengths and skills.
· Things to be mindful of and careful about when doing or trying the activities.
· An introduction to some fun activities to bring the story alive like arts and crafts activities, crosswords, quizzes etc.
· An array of over 60 creative ideas, tools, and activities to do with children or adults to support their expression and identification of strengths, skills, and resources- including puppets, masks, magnets, dolls, drawing, mirrors, portraits, jewellery, treasure boxes and much more.
· An array of creative ideas to support children and adults to soak in, connect with, and anchor on to sparkle and feel good moments.
· Talking about our life and team cheerleaders, inspirers, and supporters in a creative way.
· A spotlight on some things we can do when people say mean things or tease us. As well as some tools that can be done around our own negative self-talk.
· A discussing and some activities on reflecting on what skills and strengths we have used to overcome past challenges, obstacles, and experiences.
· A spotlight on connecting and expressing wishes, hopes, and dreams.
Dr Karen Treisman is a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist who has worked in the National Health System and children’s services for several years. Karen has also worked cross-culturally in both Africa and Asia with groups ranging from former child soldiers to survivors of the Rwandan Genocide. She also is the author of 10 books, including the bestselling book, “The therapeutic treasure box”, 4 sets of therapeutic card decks, and 6 therapeutic soft cuddly toys.
Karen has extensive experience in the areas of trauma, parenting, adversity (ACE’s) and attachment, and works clinically using a range of therapeutic approaches with families, systems, and children in or on the edge of care, unaccompanied asylum-seeking young people, and adopted children. Karen also specialises in supporting organisations and systems to move towards becoming, and to sustain adversity, culturally and, trauma-informed, infused, and responsive practice.
For more info and to book, head over to Ticket Tailor