How to create and use stories that help emotionally distressed children new
Time & Location
About The Event
Training from the Human Givens College
Live online – Join Human Givens College on Tuesday 10th November 2020 for this live online workshop. To help you help children suffering, we are offering you 20% off this course – use discount code HELP20 at the checkout.
Stories play a crucial role in children’s development – through the ways the different characters think, act and overcome difficulties, they gain important templates for understanding the world and dealing with the challenges and situations they will meet in life – both now and in the future.
And, as all children love stories, this natural affinity provides us with an incredibly powerful, non-intrusive and non-directive way to help emotionally distressed and abused young people.
On this course you will learn innovative new ways to engage with those who are often hard to reach and to help distressed children deal with the experiences they have had, whilst also offering them hope, understanding and new ways of thinking and feeling about life.
You may well be surprised at how quickly positive psychological changes occur as a result of the stories you yourself will create
What will you learn
- Knowledge and experience of how to create and use stories that are specifically tailored to quickly bring about positive psychological changes in children and young people
- A clear understanding of how to address emotional issues in children
- How to find the right metaphor for each situation
- Tips for igniting your own imagination and creativity
- Ideas and metaphors relevant to the impact of Covid-19 and the lockdown to help children who are struggling
- Case histories which illustrate the effectiveness of stories
- Different ways to use therapeutic stories, such as those in Pamela’s acclaimed Brighter Little Minds series, to develop emotional literacy
- A greater appreciation of the subtle power of metaphor, imagination and embedded suggestions and how to use them to help the young people you care for
- Increased confidence in creating therapeutic stories yourself
- Simple ways to calm and relax children – “it’s the way you tell ‘em”
- Lots of new ideas from Pamela Woodford’s ‘treasure chest of healing spells’ to spark your own creativity
- Plenty of opportunity to get feedback on the story you create and to ask questions from the tutor – a highly experienced and creative psychotherapist who has spent decades working therapeutically with distressed children and young people
- Tips for improving your own storytelling abilities
- and more…
Who is this course suitable for?
Anyone working with emotionally distressed children or young people, including:
- Teachers and educational professionals
- Psychotherapists, therapists and counsellors
- Childcare and healthcare professionals (and students)
- Foster carers
- Adoptive parents – and perspective adoptive parents
- Social workers
- Parents and carers
- Interested friends or family who wish to help a young person they know
- And anyone who would like to attend for personal reasons
For more information and booking head to the Human Givens site HERE