Wed, 01 May|
Anxiety and learning: How to boost students' abilities
This wide ranging training day leads the way. As well as examining the various causes of anxiety in young people today, it looks at the crucial links between our emotions and learning & provides you with a range of simple, clear & practical strategies to lower anxiety, boost motivation and more..
Time & Location
01 May 2019, 09:30 – 16:00
London, SW1H, Tothill St, Westminster, London SW1H 9NQ, UK
About The Event
Training from Human Givens College
Why is this course important?
The growing levels of anxiety, depression and perfectionism among our school and university students – exacerbated by the increasing focus on exam results, league tables and immediate employment possibilities – is causing many students to perform well below their potential.
Anxiety massively inhibits academic learning and performance – for some this may present as general anxiety and low motivation. Others experience anxiety in relation to specific tasks, such as taking exams, giving presentations or writing (often developing writer’s block).
By pushing more and more of our young people towards anxiety, depression or self-harming – in some cases even suicide – we are undermining the fabric of our country's future. This is not currently well understood.
However, research has continually demonstrated that it is possible to eliminate these types of anxiety, quickly and effectively – if the right approach is taken.
This wide ranging training day leads the way. As well as examining the various causes of anxiety in young people today, it looks at the crucial links between our emotions and learning and provides you with a range of simple, clear and practical strategies (that Gareth uses with great success in his own work at the University of Derby) to: lower students’ anxiety generally, boost motivation, help students overcome exam anxiety and be able to present well in public, and conquer writer’s block and more...
What you will gain from attending:
- A clear understanding of how anxiety and stress contributes to poor learning – at any age
- How anxiety reduces motivation, causes writer’s block, freezes a student's ability to remember what they’ve learned, impacts negatively on exam performance and messes up presentations
- Essential insights into the links between learning and emotion
- Five fast, effective techniques to unblock thinking and lower anxiety
- The common myths that are making our students anxious
- Practical actions that students can take to start reducing their anxiety right away
- An understanding of what really motivates students to improve their academic performance
- A profound, holistic model of learning – in tune with how our brains actually work
- Tips on how to unlock writer’s block
- A better understanding of why a good night's sleep helps
- Case histories – Gareth shares examples from his own extensive work with univeristy students to illustrate key points
- The importance of mental rehearsal
- How to help students speak in public with confidence
- Proven ways to help people overcome exam anxiety
- Course notes, CPD Certificate
Who should attend?
- School and university counsellors or anyone involved in supporting students to manage their emotions and \ or improve their academic performance
- Teachers, lecturers or other education professionals who are interested in creating environments more conducive to learning and helping students perform to their potential
- Study skills advisors who are interested in having a deeper knowledge of the interaction between emotions, the brain and learning and who wish to expand the strategies they use to help students
- Anyone involved in supporting students with specific learning difficulties (such as dyslexia) and \ or problems with their mental health
- Anyone involved in working with or supporting learners and young people
- Parents wishing to help their children academically or help them prepare for university
Price: £192 per person (inc. VAT, lunch, refreshments and course notes)
For more information and booking head to the Human Givens College Website HERE
- Get 15% OFF - bring a friend or colleague with you and you’ll both receive 15% off the training fee. Simply call the Human Givens office team on 01323 811690 to book your place