How to work effectively with troubled and troublesome teenagers
Time & Location
About The Event
Training from the Human Givens College
Tutor Richard Brook brings a practical and humorous approach to the bewildering array of models currently directed at front-line workers.
The programme is varied and intensive, yet lively with a strong focus on gaining skills. It clarifies what healthy teenage development looks like, why things can go wrong and the best ways to help young people overcome obstacles and begin to create lives for themselves that work well.
Richard also shows how, by working with the 'givens' of human nature, and ensuring that sound knowledge of how people really function is applied intelligently to teenagers, you can speed up progress and bring them real benefits.
At the end of the day you will find yourself more empowered to respond effectively to each individual’s needs, temperament and learning style, whilst avoiding the emotional pitfalls of working in stressful situations.
What you will gain from attending:
- The essential knowledge and skills you need to deliver effective interventions to young people – both individually and in groups
- An increased understanding of what drives most problematic
- What healthy teenage development looks like – this may bring you some surprises
- Ways to respond effectively to each individual’s needs, temperament and learning style, whilst avoiding the emotional pitfalls of working in stressful situations.
- A clear and logical foundation upon which to structure creative and effective interventions
- An expanded repertoire of skills and a refined understanding of what works and – most importantly – why
- A range of simple and effective techniques for engaging uncommunicative young people, building rapport and promoting behavioural changes
- The opportunity to try these techniques out
- The common misconceptions about adolescence
- How to discover and build upon a young person's strengths
- Ways to motivate young people and help them set achievable goals
- Practical problem-solving with young people
- Four vital guiding principles that ensure your work with young people is relevant and effective
- Knowledge of how the insights from the human givens approach can dramatically improve interventions and their outcomes
- The opportunity to discuss how you could implement these in your own work with a highly knowledgeable tutor who has years of hands-on experience
- Increased confidence in your own ability to affect positive change
- Course notes, CPD Certificate and more...
Who should attend?
Annyone who has to deal or work with troubled and troublesome teenagers, including: teachers, youth workers, mentors, drug workers, social workers, schools counsellors, educational psychologists, primary mental health workers, all members of youth offending teams, youth justice workers, police and probation officers, prison staff, parents, residential and foster carers and anyone who works directly with young people through sport and/or outside activities.
Price: £192 per person (inc. VAT, lunch, refreshments and course notes)
For more information and booking head to the Human Givens College Website HERE
- Get 15% OFF - bring a friend or colleague with you and you’ll both receive 15% off the training fee. Simply call the Human Givens office team on 01323 811690 to book your place